Dr. Jibo He is an associate professor, Ph.D. supervisor of Department of Psychology at Tsinghua University and a tenured professor at Wichita State University in the United States. Professor He's main research interests are cognitive psychology, driving safety, human-computer interaction, flight safety, user experience, smartphones and wearable devices, eye tracking and attention. Dr. Jibo He has published 34 journal papers, 45 conference papers, which are cited for more than 1679 times, in the fields of psychology, computer science and traffic safety. Jibo He and his affiliation unit has applied for 8 patents in the United States and 27 European countries and many companies are applying for using Jibo He's patents. Professor Jibo He has received $1,140,760 (761,3352 RMB) in research funding, including the Federal Aviation Administration Center of Excellence, the National Natural Science Foundation of United States, and the National Youth Science Foundation of China. Dr. Jibo He is the Director of the American Aviation Administration, which is rare for a Chinese. Jibo He has won the honor of Microsoft's "Star of Tomorrow" and the "Most Valuable Graduate" of the University of Illinois, as well as several scientific and technological innovation awards. His research has beem translated to Chinese, English, German and Spanish and other languages, and has been reported by several media, companies and institutions such as Zhejiang TV Satellite, Bloomberg News (one of the largest media in the US), Kansas City Star, New York Public Radio, APA Monitor ( a magazine which many psychologists read), Google, US Congress and so on.
- First Name : Jibo
- Last Name : He
- Date of birth : 13 November 1984
- Nationality : China
- Phone :(+86)-130-5138-1327
- Address : Department of Psychology, Tsinghua University
- Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Language : English - Chinese
million dollars of funding
times of citation
My Skill & Interest
Proficient in Python, Java, Matlab (Psychotoolbox), Objective-C, Swift;
Familiar with C++, PHP, HTML, CSS, Lisp, Act-R, E-Prime, Presentation, Latex;
Smartphone development for iPhone, Android, Android Wear, Google Glass
SAS, SPSS, R
User Experience Research
Eye-tracking experiment design and data analysis
Focus group, Paper prototyping, Cognitive task analysis, Heuristic evaluation, Card sorting, A/B testing, Usability benchmarking etc.
User Interface Design
Morae, Photoshop, Axure, Persona, Invision, JustInMind
• Experimental Psychology
• Cognitive Psychology
• Human factors
• Driver distraction
• Driver fatigue
• Aviation safety
• Eye movement
• Human-machine interaction
• Visual cognition
• Computer vision
• Mobile devices
• Augmented reality
• Virtual reality
• Mixed reality
Research Scientist - State Farm Insurance; Champaign, IL2010-2012
Conduct user experience study of online quote system.
Lead the development of smartphone applications for driver fatigue and distraction detection using Android and iPhone.
Software Developer - SR Research Inc.; Toronto, CANADA2010
In charge of developing a statistics software for the analysis of eye movement data using Python and PyQt.
Usability Researcher - EPTCO Group; Champaign, IL2009-2012
Optimize an e-commerce website for better search engine rank and user experience.
Research Assistant - Accounting Department, UIUC; Champaign, IL2009
In charge of questionnaire design and data analysis.
Data-mining a huge pdf files.
Research Scientist -Microsoft Research; Beijing, CHINA2006
In charge of HTML coding and user interface design for “Lyra”, a web search engine.
In charge of user test design and paper writing for “Lyra” & “IGroup”.
Excellent evaluation for my internship program.
Two papers named “Long Query Suggestion List: Prioritized or Organized” and “Presenting Web Image Search Results in Semantic Clusters” are respectively accepted by the top conferences in ACM Human Computer Interaction (HCI).
Associate Professor -Dept. of Psychology, Tsinghua University2018-present
Associate Professor -Dept. of Industrial Engineering, Tsinghua Univ.2018-present
Tenured associate professor -Dept. of Psychology, Wichita State University2017-present
Assistant professor -Dept. of Psychology, Wichita State University2012-2017
Invited guest professor -Dept. of Psychology, Peking University2014-present
Research scientist - Transportation Research and Innovation Lab, State Farm Insurance Company2010-2012
Researcher - Microsoft Research Asia2016
My Education & Honors
PhD, Psychology -University of Illinois2007-2012
MA, Psychology -University of Illinois2007-2010
BA, Economics -Peking University2004-2007
BS, Psychology -Peking University2003-2007
Awards and Honors
1. Innovation Award: Newsmaker, WSU 10/2015
2. Innovation awards by Wichita Business Journal 02/2015
3. Kansas Innovation Award, WSU 01/2015
4. Faculty of Excellence Award, WSU 11/2014
5. John A See Research Award ($10,000), WSU 05/2014
6. Health Care Innovation Award ($7,000), WSU 05/2014
7. Technology Innovation Award ($7,000), WSU 05/2014
8. Coleman Entrepreneurship Fellow, WSU 08/2013
9. Most Valuable Graduate Award, UIUC 08/2012
10. Best student paper award, Human Factors & Ergonomics Society 09/2011
11. Outstanding Internship Award, State Farm Insurance 08/2011
12. Graduate College Travel Fund, UIUC 09/2009
13. Birnbaum Fellow, Society for Computer in Psychology 11/2008
14. Graduate College Travel Fund, UIUC 10/2008
15. Psychology Department Travel Fund, UIUC 09/2008
16. Herbert Woodrow Fellowship, UIUC 04/2008
17. Outstanding Involvement Human Factors Ergonomics Society, UIUC 09/2007
18. Cherry 21st Century Scholarship, Peking University 10/2006
19. Excellent Student Leadership, Peking University 10/2006
20. Star of Tomorrow Internship Award, Microsoft 09/2006
21. Karamay Scholarship, Peking University 10/2005
22. Excellent Individual in Social Practice, Peking University 10/2005
23. President’s Undergraduate Research Fellowship, Peking University 05/2005
24. Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence, Peking University 10/2004
25. Excellent Members of the Students Service Team, Peking University 10/2004
PI. Vehicle Tracking App for iOS and Android (2018); Develop a smartphone app to track vehicle locations and time during vehicle maintenance Award amount: RMB 21,0930 Funded by: BMW China Automotive Trading Ltd.
PI. Voice-based lying detection (2018); Using audios to detect lies for credit acceptance Award amount: RMB 27,0000 Funded by: BMW China Automotive Trading Ltd.
Co.PI. Youth Fund of Natural Science Foundation of China (2017-2019); The Development of User Experience Model of Information Visualization and Its Application; Award amount: RMB 210, 000 (equivalent to $ 30,484)
PI., & Director. Federal Aviation Administration Center of Excellence (2016-2021) The Use of Head-Mounted Display and Wearable Devices in Simulator-based Pilot Training. Award amount: $289,908
Co. PI. National Science Foundation (NSF) (2016) CSR: Small: Surviving Cybersecurity and Privacy Threats in Wearable Mobile Cyber-Physical Systems (REU supplement) Award amount: $23,044
Co. PI. National Science Foundation (NSF) (2016-2019) EAGER: A Cloud-assisted Framework for Improving Pedestrian Safety in Urban Communities using Crowd-sourced Mobile and Wearable Device Data Award amount: $287,925
Co. PI. National Science Foundation (NSF) (2015-2018) Surviving Cybersecurity and Privacy Threats in Wearable Mobile Cyber-Physical Systems. Award amount: $380,000
P.I. Vigo Technologies Inc. (2015) On-road driving study to evaluate a wearable Bluetooth headset to monitor driver fatigue (Phase 2) Amount: $17,325
P.I. Vigo Technologies Inc. (2015) Use wearable Bluetooth headset to monitor driver fatigue (Phase 1) Amount: $9,681
P.I. Kansas Innovation Award (2015) Develop mobile usability toolkit for usability research, and enhance uSee Glass for usability observation Amount: $10,000
Co-P.I. Chinese National Science Foundation (2014-2016) Driver inattention state detection based on gaze concentration Amount: $37,000 (230,000 RMB)
P.I. State Farm Insurance Company (2014) Optimize the smartphone-based collision warning system for nighttime performance. Amount: $67,869.
P.I. State Farm Insurance Company (2014) Development of a collision warning system using iPhone and Android. Amount: $64,270.
Co-P.I. John A See Research Award (2014) Wearable Computing and Smart Phone Apps for Pilot Safety Amount: $10,000
P.I. Preferred Mental Health Management, LLC (2014) Validate the Ruthven Impairment Scale Amount: $1,500
Co.P.I. Regional Center for Transportation Research, Department of Transportation (2014) Evaluate how texting using Google Glass influences driving performance Amount: $17,748
P.I. Wichita State University-Award for Research/Creative projects (2014) Develop a Google Glass application to detect fatigue for pilots and drivers Amount: $4,000
P.I.Wichita State University-Multidisplinary Research Project Award (MURPA) (2013) Validate the accuracy and reliability to measure heart rate remotely with a webcam or a smartphone Amount: $7,500
P.I.State Farm Insurance Company (2012-2013) Identify visual indicators and vehicle dynamics of driver fatigue Amount: $30,000
Refereed Jounal Publications
1. Nisha Vinayaga Sureshkanth, Anindya Maiti, Murtuza Jadliwala, Kirsten Crager, Jibo He, and Heena Rathore (2019).A Practical Framework for Preventing Distracted Pedestrian-related Incidents using Wrist Wearables. Pervasive and Mobile Computing.[SCI Index, Impact Factors = 2.183].
2. He, J., Crager, K., McCarley, J.S., Jadliwala, M., & Huang, S. (2018). Do wearable devices bring distraction closer to drivers? Comparing smartphones and Google Glass. Applied Ergonomics. [SCI, EI, SSCI Index, SJR Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 2.183].
3. Tian, Y., Huang, Y.F., He, J.*, & Wei, K.L. (2018). Is Walking an Easy Task? A Mutual Interference of Texting and Walking. Ergonomics..[SSCI, SCI Index, Impact Factors = 2.183].
4. Maiti, A., Jadliwala, M.,He, J., & Bilogrevic, I. (2018). Side-channel inference attacks on mobile keypads using smartwatches, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing.[SCI Index, SJR Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 2.456].
5. Ge, Y., Pang, H.S., Hu, Y.Y.,He, J., Lei, T., Gong, Y.C. (2018). Study on Chinese College Students’ Stereotypes of the Origin of Telephone Brands. Journal of Chinese Studies, 7, 72-81
6. Sun, Q., Xia, J.H., He, J., Foster, J., Falkmer, T., & Lee, H. (2018). Towards unpacking older drivers’ visual-motor coordination: A gaze-based integrated assessment system. Accident Analysis & Prevention.[EI Index, SRJ Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 2.070].
7. Turner, C.J., Chaparro, B.S., He, J. (2018). Text entry on a smartwatch QWERTY keyboard while walking. Journal of Usability Studies.
8. Rafi, M., Chandrasekaran, B., Kusmez, B., Steck, J. E., & He, J.(2017). Real-Time Google Glass Heads-Up Display for Rapid Air-Traffic Detection. Journal of Aircraft. 1-12. [EI Index, SJR Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 0.835].
9. He, J., Choi, W., Yang, Y., Lu, J.S., Wu, X.H., & Peng, K.P. (2017). Detection of driver drowsiness using wearable devices: A feasibility study of the proximity sensor. Applied Ergonomics.1-8. [SCI, EI, SSCI Index, SJR Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 1.713].
10. Cao, S., Ho, A.S., &He, J. (2017). Modeling and predicting mobile phone touchscreen typing using an intergraded cognitive architecture. International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, 1-13. [SCI, EI Index, SJR Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 1.476].
11. Sanchiz, M., Chin, J., Chevalier, A., Fu, W. T., Amadieu, F., &He, J. (2017). Searching for information on the web: Impact of cognitive aging, prior domain knowledge and complexity of the search problems. Information Processing & Management, 53, 281–294.[SCI, SSCI Index, Impact Factors = 1.397].
12. Turner, C. J., Chaparro, B. S., &He, J. (2017). Text Input on a Smartwatch QWERTY Keyboard: Tap vs. Trace. International Journal of Human–Computer Interaction, 1-8. [SCI, EI Index, SJR Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 1.476].
13. Wu, X.H., He, J.*, Ellis, J., Choi, W., Wang, P.F., & Peng, K.P. (2016). Which is a Better In-Vehicle Information Display? A Comparison of Google Glass and Smartphones. IEEE Journal of Display Technology.12 (11), 1364-1371. [SCI,EI Index, Impact Factors = 1.925].
14. Wang, W., Hernandez, I., Newman, D. A., He, J.,& Bian, J. (2016). Twitter Analysis: Studying US Weekly Trends in Work Stress and Emotion. Applied Psychology, 65(2), 355-378. [SCI Index,SJR Rank = Q1,Impact Factors = 1.179].
15. Goldstein, G., He, J., Ruthven, L., & Walker, J. (2016). An Introduction to the Ruthven Impairment Assessment (RIA): A Stability Study. Applied Neuropsychology: Adult, 1-7.[SCI Index,Impact Factors = 0.694].
16. He, J., Chaparro, A., Wu, X., Crandall, J., & Ellis, J. (2015). Mutual interferences of driving and texting performance. Computers in Human Behaviors, 52, 115-123. [SSCI Index, Impact Factors = 2.880].
17. He, J., Choi, W., McCarley, J.S., Chaparro, B., & Wang, C. (2015). Texting while driving using Google Glass: Promising but not distraction-free. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 81,218-229. [EI Index, SRJ Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 2.070].
18. Cheng, Z., Zhuo, G., Yue, Z., &He, J. (2015). Own-race faces capture more attention than other-race faces: Evidence from response time and N2pc ERP signal. PLOS ONE. 10(6):e0127709. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0127709. [SCI Index, Impact Factors = 3.54].
19. Wang, W., &He, J. (2015). Smartphones: A game changer for psychological research. Journal of Ergonomics.5(2). doi: 10.4172/2165-7556.1000e136
20.He, J., Chaparro, A., Nguyen, B., Burge, R. J., Crandall, J., Chaparro, B., Ni, R., & Cao, S. (2014). Texting while driving: Is speech-based text entry less risky than handheld text entry? Accident Analysis & Prevention, 72, 287-295. [EI Index, SRJ Rank = Q1, Impact Factors = 2.070].
21. He, J., Choi, W., & Ellis, J. (2014). Driving and texting performance when drivers text behind the wheel. Journal of Ergonomics, 3,1-2.
22. He, J., McCarley, J. S., & Kramer, A.F. (2014). Lane keeping under cognitive distraction: Performance changes and mechanisms. Human Factors,56, 414-26. [SCI, SSCI Index, SRJ Rank = Q2, Impact Factors = 1.370].
23. He, J., Bryant, L., Stover, C., & Patterson, J.A. (2014). Measuring heart rate with webcam and mobile devices: A performance validation study. International Journal of Applied Science and Technology.
24. He, J., Roberson, S., Fields, B., Peng, J., Cielocha, S., & Coltea, J. (2013). Fatigue detection using smartphones. Journal of Ergonomics, 3, 1-7.
25. He, J. (2013). Head-up display for pilots and drivers. Journal of Ergonomics, 3, 1-2.
26. He, J. (2013). Drowsiness detection and management. Journal of Ergonomics, 3, 118.
27. He, J.,Becic, E., Lee, Y.C., & McCarley, J. S. (2011). Mind wandering behind the wheel: Performance and oculomotor correlates. Human Factors,53, 13-21.[SCI, SSCI Index, SRJ Rank = Q2, Impact Factors = 1.370].
28. He, J., & McCarley, J. S. (2010). Executive working memory load does not compromise perceptual processing during visual search. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics, 72, 308-316.[SCI, SSCI Index, Impact Factors = 1.782].
29. Fu, W.T., Kannampalli, T. G., Kang, R., &He, J. (2010). Semantic imitation in social tagging. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction, 17, 1-37. [SCI Index, Impact Factors = 1.870].
30. He, J., Li, N., & Li, T. (2010). Adult attachment and incidental memory for emotional words, Interpersona: an international journal on personal relationships,4 (suppl. 1), 1-20.
31. Li, N., He, J.,& Li, T. (2009). Gender difference of insecure attachment: Universal or culture-specific?Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 32, 36-37.[SCI, SSCI Index, Impact Factors = 20.415].
32. Li, T., Wan, L., He, J., Qin, H.P., Guo, X.F., & Wang, .X.N. (2008). Attachment style, social support and loneliness of college students, Chinese Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 17, 1115-1117.
33. Li, T., He, J., Guo, X.F., & Lu, X.M. (2006). Adult attachment and social support of self-learning students, Chinese Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 15, 1019-1020.
Manuscript Under Review
1. Liu, X.F., Zhang, Q., &He, J. (submitted). Claiming to be Good in Parts or in Whole? The Joint Effect of Headline and Body Copy on Ad Effectiveness. Journal of Business Research
2. Liu, Xuefeng, Jason Q. Zhang and Jibo He (2017), “The Effects of Incentives on Valence of Product Reviews,” to be submitted to Marketing letters.
3. Liu, Xuefeng, Jason Q. Zhang and Jibo He (2017), “Small Screens Beat Big Ones: The Comparison between Smart Phone Ads and Billboards on Ad Effectiveness,” Working paper, target journal: Journal of Business Research.
4. He, J., Sun, Q., Persinger, J., & Ni, R., & Jadliwala , M. (under review). Does smartwatch bring distractions closer to drivers? PLOS ONE.
5. Ren, Z. Deng, Y., Dai, He, J.(under review). A deep learning framework to detect cell-phone usage while driving. IEEE Transactions on Human-Machine Systems
6. He, J. , Chaparro, A., Zhou, R.G. (under review). Texting while driving: Attention share or attention switch? Computers in Human Behavior.
7. He, J., Chaparro, B., Persinger, J., Haskins, C., & Ellis, J. (under writing). A Data Logging Toolkit for Mobile Usability Research: A Case Study. Journal of Usability Studies
8. He, J., Huang, S., Liu, G.L., Zhang, D. (working project). Neural activities for drivers who text behind the wheel. Ergonomics.
1. He, Jibo, and Jeremy Patterson. "Non-invasive biofeedback system." U.S. Patent Application 15/478,869, filed April 4, 2017.
2. Plummer, B. A., Brown, P. A., He, J., Fields, B. M., Roberson, S., Cielocha, S. C., & Peng, J. (2017). System and method for monitoring and reducing vehicle operator impairment. U.S. Patent No. 9,758,173. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
3. Fields B M, He J, Nepomuceno J A, et al. (2016). Real-time driver observation and scoring for driver's education: U.S. Patent 9,275,552[P]. 2016-3-1.
4. He, J., and Zhiquan Ren. "Vehicle operator impairment detection system and method." U.S. Patent Application 15/137,449, filed April 25, 2016.
5. He, J., Fields, B. M., Roberson, S., Cielocha, S., Peng, J., & Coltea, J. (2015). System and method to monitor and reduce vehicle operator impairment. U.S. Patent No. 8,981,942. Washington, DC: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. 17 Mar. 2015.
6. He, J., Fields, B. M., Roberson, S., Cielocha, S., Peng, J., & Coltea, J. (2015). System and method to adjust insurance rate based on real-time data about potential vehicle operator impairment. U.S. Patent No. 8,930,269. 6 Jan. 2015.
7. Plummer, B. A., Brown, P. A., He, J., Fields, B. M., Roberson, S., Cielocha, S., & Peng, J. (2016).Systems and methodologies for real-time driver gaze location determination and analysis utilizing computer vision technology. U.S. Patent No. 9,275,532. 1 Mar. 2016.
8. He, J., &Patterson, J.. Non-invasive biofeedback system. U.S. Patent No. 20,160,066,835. 10 Mar. 2016.
9. He, J.& Chaparro, B. (Patent pending). Computer program, system, and method for observation and communication for mobile settings, mobile applications, and wearable mobile devices; Serial No. 62/069,005; Filed October 27, 2014; Docket No. 46799-PRO
10. He, J., Chaparro, B., & Wang, L. (Patent pending). Lens mount for a wearable mobile device; Serial No. 62/069,027; Filed October 27, 2014; Docket No. 46840-PRO
Get In Touch
Feel free to drop me a line
If you are interested in my research, please feel free to leave me a message.